**THIS IS A VINYL LP**
Release Date: 2024
Label: Soul Jazz Records
- Willie Williams – Jah Righteous Plan
- Al Campbell – Take A Ride
- Cedric Im Brooks – Satta
- Joe Higgs & Ken Boothe – Message Of Old
- Jackie Bernard – Jah Jah Way
- Devon Russell – Jah Hold The Key
- Zoot Sims – Small Garden
- The Saints – Sleeping Trees
- Larry Marshall – Run Babylon
- Vin Gordon – Babylon Rock
- The Gladiators – Talawah
- Prince Francis – African Skank
- Cedric Im Brooks – Full Time
- Prince Lincoln – True Experience
- Joseph Hill – Behold The Land
- Winston Matthews – Sun Is Shining
- Karl Bryan – 2k Strut
- Zion All Stars – Holy Mount Zion
- Tommy McCook – Tenor On Call
Vol 1 was mighty fine, presenting rare and deep recordings from Studio One’s mid-70s heyday. Hard to believe the Vol 2 is even better… As with all Soul Jazz material, the vinyl is heavyweight, with fine packaging and good liner notes. Reggae music doesn’t get much better than this: buy immediately and play loud’ David Katz, Fact.
New one-off press limited edition transparent green double vinyl edition of Soul Jazz Records long unavailable Studio One Roots 2, featuring classic tracks recorded at Studio One.
Studio Roots Vol. 2 delves deep into the vaults of the legendary Jamaican Reggae label and features rare and classic roots as well as an unprecedented seven unreleased tracks that up till now had never seen the light of day.
Roots and rastafarian music was being recorded at Studio One by Clement “Sir Coxsone” Dodd from the early 1960s onwards to the 1990s and this album reflects the depth and diversity of roots music at the label.
From the slow-ska of Dudley Sibbley, to the deep instrumental jazz cuts of Cedric Im Brooks over classic roots rhythms such as “Satta Massagana” to Winston Mathews stunning eerie version of Bob Marley and the Wailers “Sun Is Shining”. The Zion All Stars features the Burro rastafarian drumming of Count Ossie and the Mystic Revelation of Rastafari.
This album features many of the classic Studio One artists – Willie Williams, Tommy McCook, Cedric Brooks, The Gladiators, Vin Gordon – as well as many less well known artists – all who produced classic roots music under the guidance of producer Clement “Sir Coxsone” Dodd and recorded at the legendary Studio One Records.