Format: NTSC Region 1
*We do not accept returns for region or format incompatibility!*
Release Date: 2001
Label: View Video
1. St. Louis Blues by Bessie Smith
2. Darkies Never Dream by Ethel Waters
3. Quicksand by Ethel Waters (with Count Basie & His Orchestra)
4. Fine and Mellow by Billie Holiday (with Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Ben Webster, Roy Eldridge, and Gerry Mulligan)
5. When You Lose Your Money Blues by Ida Cox (with Jesse Crump)
6. That Lonesome Road by Sister Rosetta Tharp
7. Nobody’s Sweetheart Now by Connee Boswell
8. Lean Baby by Dinah Washington
9. Only A Moment Ago by Dinah Washington
10. Have A Good Time by Ruth Brown
11. The Man I Love by Lena Horne
12. Unlucky Woman by Lena Horne (with Teddy Wilson & his Orchestra)
13. You’re Mine You by Sarah Vaughan
14. I Cried For You by Helen Humes (with Count Basie & His Orchestra)
15. Why Don’t You Do Right? By Peggy Lee (with Benny Goodman & His Orchestra)
16. I Cover the Waterfront by Peggy Lee (with Dave Barbour)
Witness Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan, Dinah Washington, Lena Horne, Peggy Lee, Ethel Waters, Ruth Brown, and many other of the Jazz & Blues innovators who paved the way for today’s Soul, R&B, & Pop music.
Timeless vocal performances highlight this extraordinary musical DVD compilation filled with complete, live performances by the great American divas of the Blues and Jazz. These distinguished and ground-breaking women not only sang their way into legend, but were the major force in American musical culture.
Priceless footage of America’s and history’s greatest Jazz and Blues divas (complete songs, not just tantalizing excerpts) such as Billie Holiday backed by the most extraordinary band ever formed (featuring Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Ben Webster, Roy Eldridge, and Gerry Mulligan), the great Bessie Smith in her only film appearance, Dinah Washington on stage at The Apollo Theatre, Sarah Vaughan, Lena Horne, and many, many others. This marvelous showcase of classic American talent is in many instances the artist’s only performance ever recorded on camera, and many of the selections were thought to be lost forever.
Relive a bygone era and see the ‘Ladies’ who created an art form in these rare, classic performances thought to be lost forever. Recaptured in this filmed salute to the women who started it all, witness these stars like never before in this entertaining DVD masterpiece that is nothing short of a classic.